Re: IRDA hardware - Today only

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: IRDA hardware - Today only
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 07:33:35 GMT

Thanks James for a comprehensive reply!!

Of course its true what you say about motherboard capabilities, but not
everyone wants to rip out an existing perfectly good M/B - sometimes this
is
not easy (or possible) in certain machines (such as Compaq for example),
where the manufacturer makes their own M/B's which are not standard
form-factor... A cheap dongle to hang off COM2 is a much easier way of
retro-fitting it to an existing PC that doesn't have IR pins already fitted
on the M/B. - Of course it's always worth opening up the case &
checking
though, as a great number of PC's have the IR support on the M/B, but don't
fit any IR hardware to it...

Also, looking at the manufacturer's website for this device reveals that
they supply a range of hardware drivers in the handset management software
for precisely the reasons you have noted - you have to use the supplied
software to make it work, but they claim that so lang as you do, it will
interface with multiple IrDA devices without problems....

And for only £24, it's no great loss to try it and see....

I'll probably get one when I am up in the area at the end of the month...

Cheers.

Paul G.

>From: James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx>
>To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] IRDA hardware - Today only
>Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 00:46:38 +0100
>
>On Tue, 16 May 2000 14:41:39 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >Hi all, you may be interested in something I've just spotted on
Scan
> >Computers' Today only page (www.scan.co.uk/today.htm) - It's a PC
IRda