Re: CCTV/PC's

On Mon, 08 May 2000 10:56:15 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm using cat-5 for up to 30m with no problems.  I know of someone else
>using standard alarm cable at up to (IIRC) 100m, which is pretty
impressive!
I'm also using Cat-5 and did have a minor problem using one lead for
video and power.

A cheap mono CCD camera from Maplin wired directly on to a length of
cable plugged into my structured cabling created enough interference
along the power lines to make the signal unusable. A 100uF
electrolytic capacitor soldered across the CCD power leads gave enough
smoothing to give a decent picture.

I suspect the voltage drop/ capacitance/ inductance of the cable was
enough to cause problems to a camera missing decent voltage regulation
and decoupling.

A decent camera wired to the same cable was AOK.

BTW, I have an article written on my experiences persuading a major
builder to let me install cat-5 structured cabling in a new house. As
soon as I take a few more piccies it's going on the WWW.

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Remember the good 'ol days
http://click.egroups.com/1/4053/7/_/2065/_/958081750/