Re: 1-Wire Demo Kit & Linux

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: 1-Wire Demo Kit & Linux
  • From: James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 21:24:05 +0100

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 23:56:24 -0000, you wrote:

>Just a quick warning, I cannot get the demo kit and Linux to work
together
>as yet, the problem seems to lie with the fack that the adaptor
supplied
>isn't a "DS9091U" rather a "DS9091E", which lacks
the required line driver.
Sudden thought- doesn't Dallas take power from one of the handshake
lines on the PC (DSR/DTR?). That would mean that if the Linux sofware
asserts these differently the kit would not work.

Have you got a full lightbox to test for differences in the 232
signals?

A couple of years ago I made my own serial adaptor out of a few diodes
and resistors. Worked fine for short distances, but not as far as the
shed.

>From looking recently the new kit uses a proper level shifter with
adjustable slew rates to cope with longer distances. Have you played
with one of these? (I don't know the DS* types codes off by heart, so
apologies if this is what you are actually having bother with)

TTFN

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/7/_/2065/_/957730969/