Re: CCTV/PC's

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CCTV/PC's
  • From: "Gavin Lyons" <gavinlyons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:54:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, James Derrick <james@a...> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:49:27 -0800, you wrote:
>=20
> >Has anybody got any experience of using a PC to record/view the=20
output
> >of a CCTV camera that has been triggered by movements outside ?
> I capture stills from a WinTV card using Linux to form a time lapse
> view of the house being built next to my garden.
>=20

If you are interested in using Windows- I use a winTV card and a=20
software package form www.gotchanow.com that can time capture as well=20
as 'movement detection' no additional hadware besides the capture=20
card and software (US$70) is required.

They also have multi cam products available.

> The plan is to add a cheap alarm PIR to trigger video to be recorded
> as well a turn on a floodlight at night.=20
>=20
> I have seen a similar idea as a kit for use with a normal video for
> about =A3160 (www.Screwfix.com). This has a floodlight, PIR and
camera
> in one unit and a pseudo-remote control to turn the video on. This
> could be modified for the PC, with the advantage of a neat external
> unit already waterproofed.
>=20
> ATM do a clever add on for their PC based video capture card that
> connects to 4 cameras, 4 PIRs and relay outputs. The spec looks=20
rather
> useful, but it is about =A3200. Maplin have it as TV51F "ATM
MovieStar
> Security Patch Panel". URL anyone?
>=20
> It's possible to down sample video images and compare frames to=20
detect
> movement directly. My MEng was in image processing so I have books=20
on
> this in the loft, but no time to start messing about with 3x3 mask
> functions!=20
>=20
> I vaguely remember a chip camera for the BBC Model B that could do
> this- the Beasty perhaps? Anyone still got copies of Acorn User=20
with a
> type-in listing of such software ;-)
>=20
> James
> ---
> James Derrick    james@a..., Cramlington, Near Newcastle, England
>                  Forwarding Service: jderrick@i...
>                  Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we=20
were young,
>                  In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Regards
Gavin

http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/5/_/2065/_/957405382/