Re: Screwfix (chamberlain) Garage Door Opener!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Screwfix (chamberlain) Garage Door Opener!
  • From: James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:58:37 +0100

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:15:13 +0100, you wrote:

>All
>
>A quick question regarding the above opener...
>
>I've had to install it on a canopy door with an internal facing lintel
(those
>who have installed one will know what I mean).  It goes up & down
fine, but at
>the start of the down cycle the chain seems to slip (although it
doesn't jump a
>sproket, that's what it sounds like).  Has anyone else had this
problem?  The
>helpline was excellent (and open on Easter Sunday), but they've not
been able to
>help with this problem.
When I had similar problems (the force limiters had to be set at
100%!) the real cause of the sticking was the rail not being lined up
properly with the path of my canopy arm. Mine was even jumping chain
as the motor stalled, jamming the rail.

I found this not by measurements (the garage is not square!) but by
pulling the manual release arm and moving the door by hand. The track
of the unattached was obviously 1" off from the track when fully up.
This caused it to jam, needing too much force to overcome friction.

After moving the motor end of the rail sideways, all was well.

>As far as I can tell, all the angles are correct, the only difference
being that
>the door was touching the rail when going down, so as per the
installation
>guide, the motor has been lifted 2 inches.  I suspect it's to do with
the
>modification for the inward facing lintel - what holes does the bent
arm connect
>with??
I didn't need the bent arm bracket (spare boomerang?) even though the
door frame plate is a bit inwards of the door face. I just used the
standard straight arm on the canopy arm.

Another cure (not for the feint hearted!) was to adjust the spring
force on the door itself. The instructions say don't do this, and
indeed it was a bit hairy adjusting the 'big spring' with tommy bars,
but it did make the door go up more with more upward tension.

Did they fax you any extra diagrams? I may have one for the lintel
problem in TIFF format somewhere.

Just remember that the door really doesn't need that much force to
open with all is adjusted. I started thinking about reinforcing the
structure with girders, when the real problem was friction caused by
mis-alignment.

I hope you get things sorted. It took me 2 kneck-breaking days to get
the opener fitted, but it has been perfect ever since (5 months and
counting!).

TTFN,

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/5/_/2065/_/957304445/