Re: Re: Farenheight 451

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: Farenheight 451
  • From: James Derrick <james@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:58:35 +0100

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:53:43 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Most of you will know that 451F is the temperature at which paper
burns...
>but what is is for wood? - I know it's an odd question but the reason
I'm
>asking is that it's harder to work with metal that wood and I'm looking
at
>putting (effectively) a PC in a wooded case, something like the size of
>standard VCR - I just don't want a fire! Is this a practical option?
I simply went down to the local PC box shifter armed with my VCR
measurements and managed to find a =A330 case that was the same width
and depth as the rest of the AV rack. A few coats of spray undercoat
and black paint and it looks fine.

One of these days I'll add a LCD display driven from the parallel port
and get the IR driver working. Both seem to be rather popular to build
Linux MP3 players and several hobbyist WWW sites exist. For now, it is
much more comfotable hacking code from the settee using a cheap IR
keyboard than sitting in the workshop!

The Maplin mag ("Electronics") ran a similar project where
someone
shoehorned a standard PC into a 19" rack case and ran a DOS program on
it. Shame the case seemed to be 6U (big! 6x1.75" high)rather than 1U
as is popular for racks of co-hosted WWW servers.

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, Eng=
land
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were youn=
g,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your=20
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.=20
And, it's FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/5/_/2065/_/957304448/