Re: Is it about to rain on our MP3 Parade?

Paul Gordon wrote:

> Furthermore (according to the article), when played in a domestic
player, it
> is able to force the machine to mute its SP/DIF interface to
completely
> prohibit digital extraction of the audio data.

Then they would not work for me, because the sound from the inbuilt DAC
in my sony players is vastly inferior to the one in my amplifier. If I
cant use the digital out then they are getting returned to where they
were bought from.

> If this comes to pass, it would (at least for a while) kill off the
market
> for off-board DAC's as well as any possibility of using a CDROM drive
to rip
> these CD's. - or alternatively, it will kill the market for CD's -
'cos I
> for one would refuse to buy a CD using this protection mechanism!

Just buy heaps and then take them back as defective. If they wont play
for you then they are not fit for what you bought them for so all the
consumer protection laws should override any "no returns if its
opened"
crap that the shop tries on you.

It would not surprise me if they can be read as raw mode from the cdrom
and then have the errors corrected in software.

> Something to watch out for!! - get ripping as much music as you can to
your
> jukeboxes now, before this is forced upon us!!

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ukha_d&m=1