Re: Beginner at X10 - general questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Beginner at X10 - general questions
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:42:02 -0000

Personally I dont believe the PC is the best way, unless you use a Linux
box, W9x is just not reliable enough to run your house, that's why I like
the comfort, HomeVision, Stargate etc. they are dedicated to the task and
do
not have bloated software which could cause problems, also why pay to have
the power on all the time if you dont need it.

When my PC conks I dont want to be without heat light and power untill I
can
get a spare power supply HD etc. The HomeVision unit might also fail but
there is a lot less to go wrong with it than the PC, and the chances are
you
might just blow a driver chip which will effect only that aspect of the
controller.

Ok longer term web enabled products will become important, but there is no
reason why you cannot just use a PC as a gateway to your home automation
controller. I really like the idea of mister house for this, although you
will need to be able to programme in Pearl if you want to us it to the
full.

John
jtankard@xxxxxxx
Building Links Page http://www.tankard.com/links.htm
Extra links to hotlinks@xxxxxxx please

snip <

I'm also new to X10.  In fact I haven't installed my first modules yet,
but I'm planning to soon.

My first venture was going to be a handful of appliance and lamp
modules, running off a CM12U and an IR543.  So I've been following this
thread with interest.

My longer term aim is to develop a fully integrated system.  I had
considered that a PC was going to be the optimum way to control it all
at the end of the day.  I was planning to leave the PC plugged in to
the CM12U at all times.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the wrong way to go about HA, or
will I be alright if I go for one of those PLIX devices (TW523?)
instead of the CM12U.  What's the software like for these?

I only know what I've read on the list and the Web about HV and
Comfort, but when you start to consider control of Web enabled domestic
appliances such as Merloni2000 and voice activation can either of these
match a PC?

end snip >
Thanks

For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from

anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days.  Click here for a chance to win a

digital camera.
http://click.egroups.com/1/337/3/_/2065/_/948207324/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1