Re: User interface

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:49:16 -0000, you wrote:

>So what is everyone's views on the best way to control Home Automation
>systems then?  I'm looking for something that is fairly housewide, =
discreet
>and easy to use.
>
>Go for it guys.. give me your ideas!
Well, the best design idea is to include the maximum flexibility
possible. This will allow you to mix different technologies, using the
best for each situation.

=46or example, I use a 8-in-1 IR and RF remote in the living room. This
can control my AV equipment, and also the X-10. The mix of functions
mean use is pretty seamless.

On the other hand, in the study I operate X-10 via some CGI
programming served from a Linux box connected to a CM12U. This means
my hands hardly leave the keyboard to turn on the lights- just pull up
a browser and click a button.

Others may like the idea of RS232 or RS423 links between a LCD
touchpad, a PalmPilot using IR or a Psion nailed to a wall, but for
now HTML browser based ideas are pretty accessible.

Now, the problem here is to link as many different systems together
making all usable as a whole. For some, Comfort (www.comfoft.org.uk)
may be ideal with its use of the telephone as a universal interface
but the price of its excellent features is high.

My own ideas revolve on the use of a 'universal' language to allow all
systems to be integrated. Standards are always a problem in the
industry and may end up as a lowest-common denominator rather than a
useful system.=20

My own open-standards ideas may well be overtaken by the industry
giants over the next few years, but for what they are worth, take a
look at:
http://www.amarok.demon.co.uk/dl/index.html

I've just moved house and after sneaking in to install trunking in the
walls during the build (okay, it's not as flexible as Mark and Keith's
efforts, but I may get the digicam pictures on the WWW yet), the HA
system is being rebuilt.=20

The Distributed Living idea will (hopefully) grow...

I use Unix (Linux) systems because of the flexibility of the
development tools and excellent networking support. Automation systems
can be built with small scripts built up from Perl, Tcl/tk, shell,
HTML, CGI, C, C++, Java ... all with a small monetary cost, but
needing a steep learning curve.

Linux also has a range of good X-10 interfaces, LCD drivers, homebrew
kit support, general IR support (both IrDA and TV remote receive/
transmit) which all mounts up. It's a pity that all this work doesn't
talk to each other without lots of hacking!

=46or me, these tools are my career so the learning investment is free,
however what all our systems need to do is make things simple for poor
mortals and that is much more of a challenge.

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, =
England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were =
young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Bolt down the furniture. LiquidPrice.com is giving away one =0D
serious Dream Home Theater. The ultimate $15,000 cinematic =0D
experience. LiquidPrice.com brings you consumer electronics =0D
where you pick the product, then retailers bid for your business.
http://click.egroups.com/1/633/3/_/2065/_/947796700/

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
http://www.egroups.com - Simplifying
group communications