Distributing AV over CAT5 network

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Distributing AV over CAT5 network
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 19:14:25 -0000

I already have a CAT5 cabling to RJ45 outlets in several rooms in my house. I have a central 'comms cupboard' that houses a 16 port hub and patch panel along with my ISDN Terminal Adapter an a PC. With this set-up I can select any port in the house to be either a network port or with the use of a 'mod tap' a telephone port (either home or business). However I am now wondering if I can use this network to transmit audio and video signals from one room to another. So for example if I want to watch TV in the lounge but my daughter wants to watch a video (also located in the lounge) then could I send the output from the video through the network to the TV in the bedroom ?

In terms of wiring I was thinking of two home made scart to RJ45 CAT5 cables and a normal CAT5 loop at the patch panel to connect the lounge port to the bedroom port. Then it would simply be a question of connecting the video output to the port in the lounge with one home made cable and the TV in the bedroom to a port there with the other home made cable.

The first question I have is will a single CAT5 (4 twisted pairs) be enough to carry the AV information. Obviously SCART connections have 21 pins but I think that the 4 pairs in the CAT5 cable should be sufficient.

The second question is about the actual wiring of the SCART cables, can anyone tell me which of the 21 pins I need to connect to on both the video and the TV end.

Finally does anyone have any experience of this type of distribution, in particular will the multiple connections (all RJ45) result in noticeable signal degradation and will interference be a problem (I estimate that the cable runs about 35m from lounge to comms cupboard and then 10m from comms cupboard to bedroom).

I know this isn't strictly speaking home automation but I thought there might be some useful advice/opinions in this group.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Click here for Productopia
eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d