Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Was: Maplin IR repeater in sale, Now: General IR query...
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:45:15 GMT

I had a very similar problem with the "One for All" IR repeater,
which also
uses radio between the transmitter & receiver, and I never did manage
cure it by any adjustments. (So they've now been consigned to the junk
cupboard!). Strangely though, the problem only ever affected one piece of
kit: my Pace MSS500IP analogue satellite receiver - usually at least once
in
any 24-hour period I would observe the dot-matrix display on the Pace go
totally "loopy" - complete garbage characters would appear on the
display -
random pixels in the matrix would illuminate, quite often groups of pixels
would flash and so on... When this happenned, whichever channel I was
watching would continue to appear just fine, but any control of the unit
was
impossible (either remote IR or from the front panel) - the ONLY recourse
was to power cycle the unit. I could confirm the the One For All
transmitter
was continuously transmitting spurious IR at the unit, as the Pace has an
"IR Received" indicator which I could see was continuously
cycling on & off
- and putting a book between the OFA transmitter and the Pace made this
indicator go off. None of the other bits of kit experienced any such
problems... Because of this, I have had to consign the OFA repeaters to the
bin, and I am now looking for another solution, which is becoming doubly
important as I am having Sky Digital installed next week, and despite
trying
(and junking) two other IR repeater solutions so far, I still have no
control of the TV-room kit from the bedroom (very annoying!)

Has anyone else had such a problem either with the Pace MSS500 or the OFA
repeaters? and more importantly, if yes, did you manage to solve it? (and
if
so how?). Failing that, I'm hoping for "third time lucky" with my
next IR
repeater solution, so if anyone can endorse any particular product I'd be
grateful for the info. - Especially any info on hard-wired repeater
products, - I already have several runs of CAT5 between the TV room &
bedroom waiting to be used, so an "off-the-shelf" hardwired
product is
probably something I would favour over radio-based ones, in light of my
unsuccessfull experiences with two radio-based ones so far. (didn't there
use to be something called "Rabbit" a few years ago?) - I tend to
favour a
"blaster" type product rather than mini-emitters on each piece of
kit, as
all my kit is in the same location, and changing things around becomes a
bit
problematic with mini-emitters stuck to each box, plus, my TV location is
not wired for mini-emitters...

As ever, Thanks In Advance....

Paul G.

>From: "Dr John Tankard" <jtankard@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Maplin IR repeater in sale
>Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:40:47 -0000
>

>I have a Multi-Link and it does work very well with my Pronto and
>HomeVision
>(HV is in a equipment cupboard) The only problem I had was the
Transmitter
>was picking up and broadcasting other sources of IR, effectively
jamming
>the
>HV's receive capability, however their is a gain control on the
receiver
>which when turned down to almost the limit only the desired IR was
>transmitted.
>
>John
>jtankard@xxxxxxx
>Building Links Page http://www.tankard.com/links.htm
>Extra links to hotlinks@xxxxxxx please

Maplin
> > except as a customer...
> >
> > Speaking of remotes, Santa brought a Cambridge Audio M1 (aka
Remote
>Angel,
> > I believe) this year- I think it has been reviewed before, and is
>probably
> > on Mark's pages, but if anyone wants any info about it, just ask
;-)

> > Nigel

>Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?
>You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
>up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
>http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/947152381
>
>eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/
>http://www.egroups.com -
Simplifying group communications