Re: USA mods

On Fri, 31 Dec 1999 15:16:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've just received 5 IBM home director starter kits and have a question
=
on=20
>the 220V mod.
>
>Where can I get the 275V MOV? (Maplins don't seem to have them)
When I did my mods, Maplin supplied all the bits. Although the parts
list hasn't made into the logbook, looking at the current catalog, I
probably used a CP76H which is a 275VAC varistor (don't confuse these
with the RFI varistor). Look in the "Filters, suppression &
EMC"
section on page 549 of the current catalog.

Some pictures of my kit can be found at:
http://www.amarok.demon.co.uk/dl/ws467_mods.html

I did several devices including IR controllers, sundowners and light
switches without any real problems apart from fitting the much larger
capacitors into the original cases. Their physical size was >> x2 due
to their increased voltage rating. I also used class Y or X2
capacitors as these are designed to handle sustained mains voltage.

>OR
>
>Can I put 2 x 140V MOV's in series?
Hmm, interesting question. As the voltage across the device is halved
it would seem possible, although I'd suspect a 275V device has a
higher current rating than one for 140V. I'd play safe and get a
correctly rated part.

>(As I've removed the relay completely, the 140V MOV across the SCR
that=20
>drives this relay is not needed)
I take it this is for some sort of PC interface so the built in
appliance module is being disabled?

Hope this helps,

James
---
James Derrick    james@xxxxxxx, Cramlington, Near Newcastle, =
England
Forwarding Service: jderrick@xxxxxxx
Beyond the Horizon of the place we lived when we were =
young,
In a World of Magnets and Miracles. Pink Floyd.

Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?=0D
You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign =0D
up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!
http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/946812166

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=3D1