PC-Dash anyone?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: PC-Dash anyone?
  • From: "paul gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 17:29:47 GMT

No, I'm not talking about an "all the PC's you can grab in two
minutes" kind
of dash!

I'm talking about the Saitek PC-Dash control pad (www.saitek.com) - I think
that this thing could potentially make a pretty super tabletop HA
controller
- well, for those of us that can't afford colour touchscreen LCD's on the
coffee table anyway... Does anybody already have one of these? and does
anyboddy attempt to use it in a HA control capacity?

I'm certainly thinking of getting one for Winamp control, as every function
in Winamp has a keyboard equivalent, so it is ideally suited for control
via
this device. (In short, the PC-Dash is like a programmable PC keyboard,
packaged in a touch-pad type form factor, into which you place printed
inserts with whatever iconic/graphic controls you wish to use, then, when
you press the icon, it sends whatever keystrokes you have programmed to the
PC...)

It strikes me that this would be ideal for control of any PC software that
can be driven by a keyboard (like Winamp), where it might not be ideal to
have a full PC keyboard - like in the living room for example.

I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of making my MP3 jukebox
function very much like a "real" jukebox, whereby to play an
album (or
playlist or track, or whatever), I merely have to enter it's number into
some form of numeric keypad, and viola! - it plays...
(It'll be just like being down the pub!) This would remove the current
requirement I have to turn on the TV everytime I want to play any MP3's....

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers all, and a very happy (and automated) new year to you all!

Paul Gordon.

At Esurance.com you can buy customized insurance online. Call
1-800-926-6012 and complete a quote today to start saving money tomorrow or
just go to
http://click.egroups.com/1/611/3/_/2065/_/946661393

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1