Re: LP3 hardware Mpeg player

paul gordon wrote:

> >The only quandary I'm in is which mpeg encoder to use.  I been
using Xing,
> >but I get the feeling from the mpeg community that this isn't the
best.  I
> >don't want to encode 600 CDs and then find they're all rubbish!

I find I get the best quality from either blade or the radium codec. I
can spot a xing job from miles away..

> I have been using the Xing encoder for about a year now, and have
encoded
> about 240 CD's with it, and I am perfectly happy with the result.

xings implementation of joint stereo seems worse then the rest, I dont
like joint stereo anyway as if you run the audio thru SRS or similar it
sounds like shit.

> I'm not a Hi-Fi bore, but I do have half-decent Kit, (Sony Amp,
Mission
> speakers, Qudos speaker cable, IXOS interconnects), and to my ears the
> resultant MP3 is perfectly acceptable, and I haven't even used a
> particularly high bitrate. (I used 128K, although I've seen a few
> recommendations to use 160K).

More accurate stereos will make the mp3 sound better then a pile of
junk. A flat frequency responce is needed for the masking to occur. Try
a pair of $5 "Multimedia" speakers - you will then hear the
differences
big time, also listen for a whoosh sound accompaning snares and cymbals
(And other bright sounds)

> Your ears may be more sensitive than mine, - although I can tell the
> difference between "good" and "crap", there comes
a point where I can no
> longer discern any difference between "good" and
"gooder" ?! and although
> the differences are just about audible, the file size trade-off comes
into
> the equation as well, (as does the rip speed - I spent a solid month
ripping
> my CD's when I first started...)

I thought 128kbps was great untill I started to pick the differences,
and then I noticed them in everything. Its like the lines accross a
trinitron screen - not noticible untill you spot them, and then damn
annoying once you have done.

> It comes down to how you intend to listen to them I suppose - I just
use my
> jukebox for casual listening, backround music, parties, entertaining
etc.
> etc. etc.

If you find the bitrate gives acceptable sound then its the right
bitrate for you. Dont go encoding at 320 kb/s just because someone told
you it sounds better. If you cant hear the difference then its not worth
it unless you are archiving it or distributing it on the internet.

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE!  Xpertsite has thousands of experts who
are willing to answer your questions for FREE.  Go to Xpertsite today and
put your mind to rest.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1404/3/_/2065/_/951290475/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1