Re: X10 lamp modules

Title: RE: [ukha_d] Re: X10 lamp modules

Mark,

>I can't see how you would call it expensive - even knowing what it could be costing >by looking across the Atlantic.  Go out and price ANY other system and compare the >>costs AND features.

>1. If you have DIN rail modules there is no problem.

Sorry about the previous reply - had a bit of fun trying to reply to an HTML message. Anyway, please don't get me wrong in my opinion of X10. We have a stack of X10 modules in our house - not nearly as many as you no doubt, but not bad for a retrofitted house rather than a new build.

DIN rail modules are pretty good. I have three of them controlling the ambient lights in the kitchen. However that's still about £90 just to switch the kitchen lights on and off. It's quite hard to come up with a cost/benefit to justify that.

Consequently most of my automation is justified on the "isn't that cool" grounds. Clunky X10 light switches don't fall into that category. Ripping up the bathroom floorboards to replace an LD10s fuse similarly does not fall into my 'cool' category.

So if I were to go out and compare the costs and features of other systems sensibly, I think I'd come home with a set of standard light switches and wall sockets every time. They're cheap, come in a huge range of styles, and you never end up running around the house at 11am trying to persuade the lounge light to turn off...

The day will come when X10 or a rival falls into this category. For now, I'm _playing_ with X10.

Ray.

eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d