Re: Replay TV- almost! Coming soon to Dixons!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Replay TV- almost! Coming soon to Dixons!
  • From: Raymond <Reb.barnett@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:45:11 -0000

I looked into this a couple of weeks ago. My findings were:

The ATI All-in-Wonder 128 appears to be the only card with a TV tuner
that will encode directly to MPEG2 on the fly, and is hardware assisted
so you don't need too beefy a Pentium. I never got a definitive answer,
but it looked as though it would only work with Windows 9x, not NT.

Matrox also make a card, and I forgotten its name. This encodes on the
fly to MJPEG which is a lot bigger than MPEG2 (although more editable,
so great for video editing) - you have to use an additional utility to
encode captured files to MPEG2, which uses the main processor so
probably isn't real time.

Other points to bear in mind - a lot of TV is MPEG2 encoded at some
point in its life, even if you watch it via analogue. If you re-encode
it to MPEG2 in your PC, there is a risk that you'll get some nasty MPEG2
artifacts, because the compression is very lossy and different encoders
use different algorithms.

Consequently I've decided to wait. Hauppage's US site list a digital TV
tuner suitable for the UK, but provide not details of price or
when/where to buy it. This strikes me as the best approach since then
all you're doing is recording an already encoded MPEG2 stream to disk.

Hope this helps,

Ray.

MGI-
> http://www.mgisoft.com
>
> No mention of any suppliers other than Dixons, which isn't so
> inspiring...
> needs a 500MHz Pentium III, 128MB RAM, Windows 98 etc etc, basically a
> current standard spec machine (won't run on my 486 then  :-( ).
>
> An optional IR controller is also available.
>
> Nigel

> -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ukha_d/?m=1

> -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ukha_d&m=1

eGroups' Valentine's Day Gift Guide - Shop Here Now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/1148/3/_/2065/_/949659059/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ukha_d&m=1