Re: CallerID and modems

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CallerID and modems
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:45:25 -0800

raymond <reb.barnet-@xxxxxxx> wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d/?start=1915
> A friend is trying to get call waiting setup on his line so that his
> caller id box shows the number of the person calling. Apparently it
> works fine except when his modem is dialled out. Presumably a modem
> doesn't leave much bandwith free for caller id information.

My guess would be that the modem cannot detect the line reversal which
precedes the burst of data carrying the CID information. This is sent
BEFORE the phone rings (on BT lines).

Failure to detect the line reversal would mean the carrier/data from
the modem would swamp the CID data (which is basically modem data
anyhow).

It's just possible some modems which support the UK CLID standard might
have had the foresight to support this mode of operation - but I doubt
it somehow.

Patrick

FREE ADVICE FROM REAL PEOPLE!  Xpertsite has thousands of experts who

are willing to answer your questions for FREE.  Go to Xpertsite today and

put your mind to rest.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1033/3/_/2065/_/949599956/

-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=ukha_d&m=1