Re: X10 lamp modules

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: X10 lamp modules
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel.orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:44:31 +0000

At 12:31 03/02/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Are the fuses in the lamp modules "special" (high-speed?) or
just standard
2A

I would expect they are 'normal' fast ones (usually marked F) rather than
slow (T for Time delay) like mains fuses.  There are also faster ones
(FF?), all available at most electronics suppliers, Maplin, CPC, Farnell,
RS etc etc.

Fast fuses generally _try_ to protect semiconductors, slow ones protect
cables from overheating, and systems which can legitimately have a
switch-on 'surge' (eg transformers)

In most situations, Murphy's Law intervenes, so a fast fuse doesn't blow
fast enough when there is a real fault to protect the device, but does
nuisance-blow regularly...

>Let me guess.....
>Is the lamp in question is mounted with cap DOWN ?

Interesting, a very similar thread is running on uk.d-i-y, do you have any
references which confirm that, or is it just observation and common-sense?
It does make sense to me, but I have wondered if there could be another
reason, related to flyback current from inductors in the system if the bulb
pops at the peak of the mains voltage... haven't thought through it in
detail, it just came to mind...

>support wires turning your 60W bulb into a 2Kw bulb or higher, hence
the
>flash seen sometimes when a bulb blows.

That's why your explanation makes more sense...

>BUY SOME NEW BULBS....They will last a bit longer :-))

And soft-start them if possible rather than turning on instantly, if you
really don't want to have to replace them!

Nigel

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%

Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,

no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the

credit you deserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
http://click.egroups.com/1/913/3/_/2065/_/949578293/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ukha_d&m=1