Re: X10 lamp modules

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: X10 lamp modules
  • From: adrian.lucas@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:31:22 +0100

Are the fuses in the lamp modules "special" (high-speed?) or just
stand=
ard 2A plug top fuses?
If the former, wher do you buy them?

Adrian Lucas

keith.doxey@xxxxxxx on 03/02/2000 11:05:23
Please respond to ukha_d@xxxxxxx@SMTP=20
To:	ukha_d@xxxxxxx@SMTP
cc:	=20
Subject:	[ukha_d] Re: X10 lamp modules
Classification:	Restricted
Let me guess.....
Is the lamp in question is mounted with cap DOWN ?

If so, it will almost always pop the fuse when it blows.
this is because, as the filament breaks it falls down and shorts out th=
support wires turning your 60W bulb into a 2Kw bulb or higher, hence th=
flash seen sometimes when a bulb blows.

DO NOT REPLACE THE FUSE WITH A HIGHER RATING OR SLOWER FUSE !!!!!

The fuse is there to PROTECT the triac in the dimmer
Fuses are EASY to replace, triacs are a pain.

You may remember the earlier threads mentioning "Ensure you have EASY
a=
ccess
to the module for fuse replacement".

When I was running my Disco several years ago, the high-speed ceramic f=
uses
for my lighting controllers were about 50p EACH. I could buy a triac fo=
r 30p
but a fuse can be changed in a matter of seconds, triacs took MUCH long=
er.

If you are unfortunate enough to blow a triac they almost always fail S=
HORT
CIRCUIT leaving the light permanently ON. If the fuse hasnt blown then =
you
still need to get to the module to remove the fuse to turn the light of=
f AND
you have the hassle of having to change the triac or buy a new module :=
-((

Oh....Almost forgot to say...

BUY SOME NEW BULBS....They will last a bit longer :-))

Keith

Keith Doxey
http://www.btinternet.com/~krazy.keith
Krazy Keith's World of DIY Home Automation