Re: Found it! - MP3 hardware add-on

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Found it! - MP3 hardware add-on
  • From: "Brown, Andy [Infrastructure]" <AndyB@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:45:23 -0000

....although, I've just been to the web site and it says it's currently
only
available in the US :(

I've requested more info about getting one in the UK and will let you know.

Andy

<x>   -play <file>
> -stop
> -pause        -resume
>    -seek <x>    -id          -kill        -help
>
>    "-id" prints the lp3 ID string.
>    "-kill" kills the daemon process.
>
>    All options may be abbreviated.
>  -------------------------------------------------------------
>
>  so to play a file, you'd do something like:
>
>  % ./lp3client 0 -play
> /mp3/Rock/Grateful_Dead/GD/First_Album/Morning_Dew.mp3
>

> like they say on their web page, this seems to incur next to zero load
on
> the host cpu - the hardware device handles all the real work of mp3
> decoding.  in case it wasn't clear, this is ONLY a decoder.  it
assumes
> you
> already have an mp3 encoder of your own and/or a bunch of .mp3 files.
>
> according to the manuf., 192k is the highest bitrate they can handle.
> tried a 256k file and it played for a few seconds then started
skipping
> ;-(
> so I'll trust that they're right and that 192k is the highest they'll
> handle.  but the sound quality at 192 with this device is simply
stunning.

> the audio quality is the best I've heard to-date.  no noise/hum to
speak
> of,
> very clean and crisp treble range with ultra low distortion all
around.
> without doing more quantitative testing, I would assume the only way
> better the sound would be to use a digital audio
interconnect/soundcard
> and
> an outboard hi-end DAC.  and for $99 for this little lp3 unit, you
can't
> beat the sound quality.  I think that 192k via BLADE encoder and this
> little
> dongle will keep me happy for quite a while.
>
> the only system requirement that is hard and fast is that you need a
> parallel printer port to connect this thing to and a spare AC outlet
> connect its pwr supply to.
>
> I predict this little box will be the engine of many hobbiest mp3
systems.
> the pricepoint is a bit high but considering its somewhat of a
specialty
> item (not mass-market focused like a Rio player) its not too
unreasonable.
> if they ever get the price point down to $49 or so, I bet they'll make
> serious dent in the mp3 decoder market share.

Internet,
> > display documents, calculate spreadsheets, resize images and
compile
> code.
> >

> > How It Works
> >
> > lp3 works as a Winamp plug-in so you can keep using your favorite
> > playlists and familiar Winamp controls as before. lp3 also works
with
> > Linux and DOS.
> >
> > In addition, lp3 has a built-in buffer to keep your music playing
when
> > your computer slows down. No more dropouts or skipping when
running
> > complex tasks.
> >
> > lp3 connects to your parallel port and has a convenient
pass-through
> port
> > for your printer or Zip drive. No sound card is required. It's
easy to
> > install. Just plug it in!
> >
> > Price: $99
> >

> >   _____
> >
> >  <http://click.egroups.com/1/338/3/_/2065/_/948794422/>
> > eGroups.com Home: <http://www.egroups.com/group/ukha_d>
> > www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com> - Simplifying
group
> > communications
> >  << File: MP3.com Software.url >>

> You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it!  Sign
> up today at X.com.  It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!

> -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ukha_d&m=1

Want to send money instantly to anyone, anywhere, anytime?

http://click.egroups.com/1/332/3/_/2065/_/949319163/