RE: 28" widescreen television ???? What one, recommendations please.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: 28" widescreen television ???? What one, recommendations please.
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:56:01 -0800

My personal opinion is to buy a TV based upon the quality of its image ... the audio systems of TVs are woefully inadequate compared to even the most basic of AV systems. If you're going to run your audio through a seperate system to that which comes with the TV then don't be swayed by something that you're not going to use (i.e. TVs with built in Dolby Surround / Dolby Digital).

If space is the consideration which may cause you to shy away from a seperate audio system then there are some quite remarkable products (for their size/cost) that you may wish to consider which are aimed at the PC market - the Videologic Digitheatre is certainly a product which punches well above its weight and sounds more coherent (in my opinion) than the efforts that I've heard from most TV manufacturers. I understand that there is a new Cambridge Soundworks Dolby Digital decoder, amps and speakers system which is pretty good too!

If you have room (and budget) for an AV amp but not for a full sized set of speakers then look to the Mirage AVS Micro system ... slightly bigger than Bose sized but immensely better than Bose sounding (again in my opinion) and a fraction of the Bose price at £650 for centre, four identical front/rear speakers and a tiny 8" sub that you'd swear was a 10" unit in a box four times the size if you hadn't seen it.

Phil