Re: Pronto :-)

REB.Barnett@xxxxxxx wrote:

> One final OT question: our DVD player exhibits glitches (visual or
sound
> stutters, plus the lip sync can go off) in playback at specific points
on
> DVDs - is this the fault of the DVD or player, and if the player, is
it a
> faulty player or bad design of player?

Early DVD chipsets, most notably those from Toshiba, exhibited this
problem. There was considerable uproar when the Matrix came out, for
example. Quite a large selection of players were unable to play it
properly, especially Chapter 5 (the benchmark for finding this problem
at the time) and the Follow the White Rabbit feature (which caused a lot
of players to lock up completely).

The only players I can remember that weren't affected were Pioneer, coz
that's what we've got. Mind you, I think it depends very much on the
specific model.

A lot of manufacturers at the time were able to fix the problem with
firmware upgrades, but I think Sony did a couple of recalls for hardware
mods. I'm guessing that the own brand budget players maybe use the older
chips? I'd take yours back (presumably under warranty) and tell them you
want a firmware upgrade. If you can reproduce the problem every time, it
shouldn't be a hassle.

It would also be possible for a poorly authored disc to show this
problem, but I'd be surprised if that applied to MI2.

cheers

ant
--
ant@xxxxxxx                   /\/\                  www.ant.org