Mains Filters

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Mains Filters
  • From: "tracey.gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 21:48:45 -0000

The "Smart Homes for Dummies" book talks about getting
your electrician to fit a "noise block" inline with
your main supply just before the consumer unit.
They say that they range in price from $70 to $550 and all
include signal coupling functionality as well.

So it looks as though this is a fairly well known problem
in the States?

I've had a look at the Farnell catalogue and they do a range
of "Installation Filters" for both single and three phase
but unfortunately the single phase ones only go up to 50A
whereas the three phase ones go up to 220A.

So with a bit of digging I'm sure that we could locate a
suitably rated filter at a "reasonable" cost.

I know that I'd be interested in fitting one in my meter tails
to reduce whatever rubbish may be coming up the mains.

BTW what frequency does X10 operate at, I've seen 126kHz mentioned,
is that correct?

Tracey

>A filter will stop interference getting into the house and stop your
X10
>from leaving. However if the neighbours house is effectivly shunting
the X10
>then you need inline chokes which present a high impeadance to the X10
>signal to stop it getting shunted by the outside world. These have to
carry
>the FULL MAINS CURRENT for your house typically 60-100 Amps and would
have
>to be fitted into the meter tails by an electrician.
>
>I dont know where you would get such filters and the cost would be
>extortionate :-(
>
>Keith

With US & International rates as low as 3.9c a minute from Net2Phone
Direct Plus Up to 1500 FREE minutes; you can call everyone on your list!
http://click.egroups.com/1/10924/1/_/2065/_/977435636/