Re: Cable TV queries

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable TV queries
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 19:13:10 -0000

>Has anyone come across a gizmo to let you share a Subscription card
>between two Sky Digiboxes? I have seen ex-contract Digiboxes being sold
>in the wee yellow paper, and quite fancied being able to watch one Sky
>channel whilst taping another, or my wife and I watching seperate
>channels....

I HAVE seen these available for analogue sky satellite boxes, but I don't
know if the same thing would work with digiboxes, or if there is a newer
digibox version available.
It consisted of a "V" shaped cable, with a card-reader at the
pointed end
into which your real live Sky card was inserted, and a "dummy"
smart-card at
the end of each leg which went into the IRD's card slot. The whole thing
was
only about 1 metre long, limiting the 2 IRD's to being next to each other.

Hey, here's an idea for a fantastic new KAT5 variant! - how about one that
lets a digibox access a smart card over CAT5 cable? - Keith, care to pour
water on this idea and explain in great technical detail why it wouldn't be
possible?  ;-)

Actually, that reminds me of a serious question that my dad raised the
other
day: can anyone confirm/deny whether or not Sky digital cards are
personalised to a single digibox? - the reason he want's to know it that he
has a second property, and wants to acquire a cheap 2nd-hand digibox for
the
other house, and then would only have to take his single legitimate
smart-card with him to watch Sky digital in either house. He doesnt want to
subscribe twice, as one or other property is vacant for 6 months of the
year... (I'm going to suggest he installs a Comfort system in one of the
houses!)

I had been left with the impression from an earlier discussion that they
were indeed restricted to a single digibox, but he seems to think that one
of his mates used his card in another box some time back in order to get
Sky
Sports round at someone else's place...

Cheers.

Paul G.