RE: Infrared Transmitter

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Infrared Transmitter
  • From: nigel@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 18:47:11 -0000 (GMT)

On 04-Dec-2000 rj@xxxxxxx wrote:
> IRLED illuminate and stay lit.  I'm thinking I may of toasted the
> IR
> receiver by connecting 12v to the receiver circuit,

More than likely.  ISTR max voltage rating is +6V, double that is
almost sure to destroy it.

There are about 3 common ways to produce a 5V supply.  Probably most
appropriate for something low current like the TSOP (about 2mA), but
a bit fussy about power, is a zener diode.  5.1V zener, with the
cathode (with black bar) pointing at the TSOP +5V pin and the anode
at the 0V connection.  Then connect the +5V pin to +12V via a
resistor.

Assuming 7V maximum drop when 5mA is drawn, 1k2 would be the nearest
standard value.  When the current falls, the zener diode stops the
supply going too high.  Maximum resistor power dissipation is about
100mW, zener power about 50mW, those should be enough ratings to help
you pick suitable components (just about any resistor, just about any
zener should do!)

I might get the chance to draw a schematic (but not test it) later
this evening...

Nigel

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/2065/_/976129386/