RE: Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT]Proxy Software with multiple dialup numbers
  • From: "K. C. Li" <li@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 17:31:57 +0000 (GMT)

> Hmmm ... I was just about to throw out an old 486 but maybe I'll dig
it back
> out of the bin!

There is still plenty of life left on the 486 with Linux. One of our
clients (our computing side of business) have been using a lowly 486 66MHz
as their main Internet gateway for e-mails and restrictive web access for
two years. We have only recently upgraded the PC to a Celeron with 40GB of
disk space as the old one only had a 300MB disk. We could've just upgrade
the hard disk but the MD, now heavily depending on e-mails, insisted on
giving the server a hardware upgrade and pride of place in the company.

Another benefit of having a Linux gateway is that anti-virus software may
be installed there for scanning incoming and outgoing e-mails without the
hassle of installing it on each individual PC with the resultant nightmare
in regular mass updates.

We made one big mistake in showing the staff how to reboot the Linux
server. Now every time one of the 15 Windows PCs crash or the Internet is
congested, the Linux server is rebooted (again and again).

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.