RE: My life, this week!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: My life, this week!
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phillip.harris1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:47:01 -0000

Well done Mark.

Good luck in the new job!

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark_Harrison_UK@xxxxxxx [mailto:Mark_Harrison_UK@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 30 November 2000 11:44
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] My life, this week!

Hi all,

Well, the observant among you may have noticed that I'm on a
different email address all of a sudden.

Here's why, and why I owe this list a big "thank you"...

LAST WEEK:

Mary and I went on holiday last week. Great break.

MONDAY:

When I got back to work, I discovered that, while I was away, the
backers had indicated that second round funding would not be found
soon enough, and that the company would have to get rid of most of
its staff.

As such, I discovered that I was going to be out of a job, effective
the last working day before Christmas. A letter had been sent to me,
but, owing to a secretary that left a while back, my change of
address had never been filed, so the letter had been sent to my old
house.

Phoned friends, agents, family, previous colleages to explain and get
them copies of my CV to hawk around.

TUESDAY:

Went for an interview with the CTO of ( - the dot com side of a FTSE
1000 - ) arranged through a contact of a previous boss. One of the
questions he asked was "how is your UNIX".

I said "I'm not really technical, but I've been using it on and off
since '89"

He said "What do you mean by non-technical".

I said, well, I recently installed Linux on one of my home PCs, and
installed a baby-firewall so that all the PCs on my home LAN could
access the Internet through a single connection.

He said "and that's non-technical?"

WEDNESDAY:

Job offer in writing (3 month contract, starting monday).

I guess that, if I hadn't been on the list, I'd never have bothered
to play with Linux for Internet Connection Sharing, so wouldn't have
had that story available. So well done the group!

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/2065/_/975584847/