Re: MP3 muzak and stuff.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: MP3 muzak and stuff.
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:05:26 -0000

I am interested in this, but I don't condone or support piracy.  In fact, I
was at a small-northern-town computer fair at the weekend where one bloke
had a stall selling nothing but CD-R's chock-full-o albums ripped to MP3 -
about 10 albums per CD, for £5 each. (I didn't buy any!)

I have already swapped my MP3 collection with a very small number of my
friends, (errr, 2 of them I think). I don't believe this has deprived the
music biz of any of it's income, as I would not have bought those albums
anyway. (I have quite a bit of music in my jukebox that I don't actually
like!!)

I have about 20GB worth, mostly ripped at 128K joint stereo, but laterly I
started experimenting with 160K and 192K, and also with VBR. I'd have to
say
that, to be honest, I haven't actually been able to tell the difference
really, - but I've not tried encoding the same track at the different rates
to do a proper comparison....

... And anyway, we all _know_ the music biz is ripping us off something
rotten, (£13 for a 30p CD - do me a favour!)

£0.02

Paul G.