RE: MP3 copyright issues.

  • To: ukha_d <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: MP3 copyright issues.
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:59:08 -0000

Tim,

It depends on what music changes hands.

I already OWN most of the music that I like. Several thousand tracks
covering 1955-2000 that record companies have digitally remastered and put
on shiny new compilations that I have spent my hard earned money on.

As has already been pointed out, ripping and encoding is a time consuming
process and if I already own a track on a CD then in MY opinion the artist
has received their rewards for the work in question. I see no difference
between the track being MP3'd by me or donated by a fellow ripper other
than
the obvious time saving involved. As my CD collection consists mainly of
compilation albums the artist has sometimes been paid several times for the
same piece of work.

I also have many thousands of tracks on both 7" and 12" vinyl,
many of which
will probably never be released on CD. I refuse to buy a compilation CD (or
an individual artists CD) just for ONE track when I already have all the
others. This is not a new view, I remember in the late 70's when the Police
released one of their singles ( I think it was "The bed's too big
without
you") as a "box set"  containing all the other singles I had
already bought.
If it had been the normal price I would have bought it, but it wasnt so I
dont have that song.

If someone has a track that I own, either ripped from one of their own CD's
or Vinyl then I see no problem with me saving time by getting the MP3 from
them as I have already paid the artist for that song.

Technically I suppose what I have stated above is still in breach of
copyright but companies like Dixon's etc make a handsome living selling
VCR's and Cassette Decks that allow anyone to breach copyright in one way
or
another.

When I was at school everyone used to tape the Radio 1 Top 30 on a Sunday
night but it didnt prevent them going out and buying the records they
really
liked.

Just my opinion

Keith