Re: MP3 Encoding - Tags???

A group of my friends decided early doors that downloading MP3s was a bit
of
a hit or miss game, so we pooled all of our CD collections. I maintain the
archive, as I am the only one who has bothered to set up a home media
server
so far. (my friends, whilst being IT literate, tend to be in awe of the
system, but not inclined to replicate it)

At present, we have 479 albums ripped (many are double CD compilations etc)
giving a grand total of 7860 tracks and taking 28.8Gb of disk space.

The best ripper/encoder to use (IMO) is AudioCatalyst by Xingtech. It has
CDDB lookup built in, and very flexible naming conventions. It also
auto-completes the tags from CDDB as far as possible. I think Xingtech are
now bust and defunct, but I have a copy folks can have (it's 3Mb)

Other suggestions include: standardise on a naming convention and stick to
it.  I use a folder name of "Artist Name - Album Name" and a
filename of
"Track Name", except for Soundtracks and Compilations:
soundtracks get
"Soundtrack - Film Name" as a folder, and "Artist Name -
Track Name" for the
file. Copilations get the same filename, but "Various - Compilation
Title"
as the folder. also, always rip to either 128kbps 44000 or 160kbps 44000
(don't use VBR, it truly sucks)
Many people cannot tell any difference from 128 to 160: you need to be an
audiophile with good equipment.

I personally use 128kbps Joint Stereo at 44KHz for everything.

Ian.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/2065/_/975436996/