Laing Homes

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Laing Homes
  • From: Clive Dilley <clive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:05:51 -0000

This weekend I visited the Laing Homes development in Bishop's Stortford,
based on information I read in the first issue of Smarthouse. I had briefly
seen the original concept one at this year's Ideal Home Exhibition and was
keen to see a bit more. A quick look at their web site and how Laing are
developing new ideas confirmed my desire to see the house of the future
(just to get some new ideas).

What a huge disappointment !!

The 5 bed show house was pleasant enough (not the best shown house I have
seen for decor etc.), although I must say I thought quite expensive (half a
million) for the location. What about the HA equipment ..... basically
there was NONE. The only real evidence of something different was a number
of RJ45 wall sockets in various locations and a small patch panel.

I asked the sales rep about the "Internet House" and was told
that this was
it. Laing do the basic wiring (including wiring for ceiling speakers) and
you do the rest. Laing recommend a third party HA installer and you decide
how much HA you can afford.

I was surprised at the lack of information at the site and the
unwillingness of the sales reps to tell me more (I think they really did
not know much about it). I was also surprised at the lack of other
"luxury"
items you may expect for this price, that I have seen in cheaper show
houses (like central vacuum system or spa bath) as these things are
comparatively cheap to install during construction.

At first I considered it to be a waste of an afternoon, but then I thought
that if a house like the Laing one can sell at half a million with no real
technology, what would my house be worth?

At some point next year I plan to get my house valued and very interested
in how the Estate Agent values the HA system ... has anyone one had any had
any experience of selling a house with HA equipment - did it add value? or
did it put people off?

Clive

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/2065/_/975323012/