RE: IR Transmitter boards.

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: IR Transmitter boards.
  • From: Keith Doxey <keith.doxey@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:15:05 -0000

Nick,

There is potentially a serious flaw with your idea if I read it correctly.

Driving multiple LED's is easily accomplished using extra transistors to
buffer the signal. The "problem" with your idea is that of having
the IR
LED's in close proximity to the TSOP.

When first switched on everything would be fine.
When the first IR signal is received ALL the LED's would transmit and be
picked up by the adjacent sensors which would tell the transmitter to drive
the LED's.

At best you would probably have an unstable and unreliable system, at worst
it could permanently transmit IR which would ultimately lead to the demise
of your IR LED's and also jam any IR transmissions you were trying to send.

Two Way IR is basically a no-no(Duplex). Bi-directional IR is OK (Half
duplex)
You need to ensure that recievers are disabled when IR is being transmitted
from the same location.

I would try a mockup BEFORE a full blown installation just incase it isnt
going to work.

Depending on how the IR modules were constructed you may be OK if the
transmitted IR doesnt get picked up by the receiver but I felt I ought to
make you aware of a potential pitfall.

Keith