Re: [WILDLY OT] Simpsons WAS: Police fence stolen goods on Internet.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [WILDLY OT] Simpsons WAS: Police fence stolen goods on Internet.
  • From: Ian Lowe <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:01:32 -0800 (PST)

--- Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Isn't it the one that's a parody of Pulp Fiction?

Yup.. 22 Short Films about Springfield (3F18)

One of my favourites!

And to bring it (vaguely) back on topic:

This is actually one of my pet projects: I have 132 simpsons episodes
(along with twelve futurama, all of Malcolm in the MIddle Season 1 and
a bunch of movies) encoded using DivX at VHS Quality on my home server.

It's trying to do with video what we already do with audio. I only buy
Cd's to rip these days, the plap them on the server: play from anywhere
in the house using a combination of spread about PCs, and sets of the
Cambridge Audio 2.1 Soundworks Speakers.

It's >brilliant< to be able to just click and play rapidly between
files to find the one you want to watch rather than FFW and REWing
through a VHS tape.

One of the reasons I was not so keen on the TiVo is that it introduces
"protection" by encrypting the vido, so you can't archive it off
for
later, like you can with tape. I use VirtualDub with an AGP ATI
All-in-Wonder 128 16Mb, and a PIII800EB (new proc last week) so I can
encode directly to DiVx as I capture. (in fact, given a 4Gb file system
limitation, I can encode for thirty two hours continously :)

Now, If I could only make it record at a set time like a VCR..... :)

Ian.

=====
>+++
Ian R Lowe. Director, Wintermute Consultancy Ltd.
e-mail: ian@xxxxxxx
Onward and Upward! Towards Ascension!