Getting started with PICs

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Getting started with PICs
  • From: James Hoye <jhoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:13:56 -0000

I have some HA ideas based on a bus architecture (don't we all).  I'd like
(time permitting, ha ha ha...) to play with RS485 and possibly CAN as
suitable technologies to fulfil this requirement (cue John Tankard to sit
bolt upright!).

Obviously, before I get this far, I am going to probably need some
understanding of PICs (especially as my ideas utilise a PIC to do some
work).  Amazon don't really suggest any suitable books - so I'm asking if
anyone can recommend a PIC book to help me on my way.  Background:  I now
understand how Nigel's circuit works (thanks to Keith) so I do have some
electronics knowledge.  I'm a VB/ColdFusion/ASP/C programmer, so I should
be
able to get a grasp of the instruction set.

As for RS485 and CAN, John Tankard seems to be the authority (any others?)
in this respect - so any starters would be useful.  I've seen some of the
technical specs. for CAN, so I guess some info. on actually interfacing it
would be a start.

I feel that HA is really going to take off in the UK at last - especially
with house builders incorporating CAT5, ISDN etc. into some new homes as
standard and home cinema (read DVD) selling like hot cakes.  People are
going to realise how much HA can improve their quality of life, and I feel
the requisite skills are going to be more in demand - time to get in early!

James H

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/2065/_/974819215/