Re: PC advice (Not really HA!)

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: PC advice (Not really HA!)
  • From: Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:11:01 +0000

If you have them connected via a network, and you can get networking
working under DOS, you could share the cd-rom on the lappy, hten connect to
it from the DOS machine with net use \\lappy\cd-share

The floppies that came with your net card should have DOS drivers one them,
and doesn't DOS 6 come with built in net support?

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:13:00 Christopher Williams wrote:
> I know this is really the wrong e-group for this question, but I have
> great faith in the advice given on this list.
>
> I have an old 486/66 machine and I would like to put Windows98 on
> it.  I know it may not have enough grunt, but I'd like to try it
> anyway.
>
> Problem is it doesn't have a CD drive.
>
> Question:  Does anyone know of some software that can be loaded from
> floppy to enable the 486 to make use of the CD drive on my laptop?
> The two machines can be connected with serial, parallel or 10BaseT.
> I have tried INTERLNK as supplied with DOS 6, but it doesn't like the
> newer filing system used by Win98.
>
> The other option I have is to connect a CD drive temporarily.  I have
> a Sony 24x ATAPI drive that I could borrow from my Acorn RiscPC, but
> I am not convinced it will work with the IDE interface on the 486,
> and I don't want to risk damaging it.  As far as I am aware IDE (as
> opposed to EIDE) is not capable of addressing beyond 512Mb, and I
> guess that as a CD can hold 650Mb, this is an issue.  Any ideas?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.  I wouldn't blame you for
> dissmissing this as non HA.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris Williams

,,,
(o o)
Stuart Grimshaw         www.schoolsnet.com          sg@xxxxxxx
Special Projects Developer                            t: 07976 625221
Schoolsnet LTD             .oooO  Oooo.               f: 0870 7060260
\_)  (_/

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/3/_/2065/_/974812666/