Re: RE:Website published on ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: RE:Website published on ADSL
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:45:54 GMT

>This looks like BT are routing to my ADSL connection thro' their
private
>network as this is IP range is not used by our LAN. As the destination
IP
>(My ADSL connection) is a valid IP address and not a private one then I
>guess it is valid to route to it thro' a private network.

I agree, it certainly looks like that. Actually the final hop (62....) is
also a BT address as well I believe, so that makes sense.

.

>Yes we do run our own DNS.
>

>Yes I added the external IP and removed the LAN IP for
"emperor-zurg" from
>the DNS.

AHA! - that explains one nigglig question I had, which was: IF my
hypothesis
was correct, how was I resolving your dynamic ADSL Interface IP?

>Again why can't a valid Internet IP address be routed thro' a private
>network? In this case BT's LAN/WAN.

Well, "in theory" at least it shouldn't be possible if RFC1597 is
strictly
adhered to, as this states (somewhere) that routers should not forward
packets between the private blocks and the public ones, in order to prevent
the possibility of someone "accidentally" connecting their
private LAN to
the internet at large. So it ought not be possible for a router to route
between (say) 172.16.X.X. and 62.X.X.X networks. However, in practice, I
believe this is a configurable option on most routers?

>I hope this puts you mind at rest that you can (and I have) publish a
>WEB/FTP server on BTOW's ADSL connections. I have not read the
T&C's yet to
>see if your supposed too.

It's certainly encouraging, although your experience IS still at odds with
the tests we carried out a week or two ago wiht someone else's ADSL
connection. - Who is yours supplied by? BT OpenWoe? (if so, I believe it IS
contrary to their T&C's)...

Cheers.

Paul G.