Re: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: Ian Lowe <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 02:24:08 -0800 (PST)

Chris, here's my 2p:

> I have a question:
> We are getting a PC for Christmas and I would like to use the
> internet etc...

> Should I get BT HomeHighway or wait for ADSL?

Personally, although I would chew my mother's leg off for Broadband, I
am becoming convinced that ISDN is better than the Half Hearted way
ADSL is being approached in the UK. Basically, ISDN is dedicated
bandwidth. If you bond channels, you get 128Kbps, a single channel gets
you 64Kbps, stable, reliable, same every time.

With ADSL on the other hand, the bandwidth is contended. BT OpenWorld
uses a contention ration of 50:1 so every 50 ADSL Users share a 2Mbps
connection at the exchange. so your D/L bandwidth is >NOT< 512kbps
it's
actually anywhere between 40Kbps and 512Kbps depending on how many
people are signed up in your area, how heavily they are using the
service etc...

> Ideally I would like to be able to use the phone at the same time as
> the PC.

Both ADSL and HH will allow his: with HH you have two digital and tow
analog ports and can use any two from four at the same time.

> If I go HH should I get a TA or an ISDN router (do I need both?).

One or the other. The Router provides access for a network, and is
probably overkill for a single PC. a TA acts just like a modem (in
fact, most serial port TA's emulate modems so no special ISDN software
is needed.)

> Eventually I would like to connect several Computers to a house LAN
> and have internet access from any.

It's the only way to fly: as a suggestion, get "Netgear" LAN
equipment:
very cheap, very good, excellent customer service. I use FA310TX
Network Cards, and an FS108 Fast Ethernet Switch. It totally rocks.

> I also intend to get Comfort, whill this work OK with either HH or
> ADSL?

I don't know comfort, so no comment...

> I am hoping to keep the cost down so I thought I would go for BT's
> Talk'n'Surf Together with HH, £44.99 pm including free voice and data
> calls evenings and weekends and some? free calls, apparently not £13
> worth as it was with just HH.

Hmmmmm. That sounds interesting :) My phone bill is frightening...

> We don't have access to ADSL yet.
>
> Also is there any problem with installing HH in the loft (node zero
> to be) and running CAT5 to the study?

BT are generally happy to install the box where you want it (as long as
it is mechnically secure) The only problem is the BT Engineer's
tendency to route cables by the most visible (indeed, downright ugly)
route possible. I understand they also won't use your cabling either.

> I have an old 486/66 with dual serial ports, could I use this as a
> router/firewall (linux?) with a TA??

You could..... if you are willing to spend something like a month of
chewing your arms off, cursing, swearing, and generally asking "why
the
hell doesn't this work?".

Despite the tendency to start arguments, I have to say: Linux is
>not<
for the timid. If you are an accomplished Un*x user, you should be okay
with the Install, although even then getting ISDN working is a near
impossibility. The Docs that come with Redhat 6.2 for instance, make no
mention of ISDN at all.

I personally couldn't get ISDN to work in any shape of form last time I
tried. I spent about six nights cursing at the damn thing, recompiling
the kernel, adding patch after patch after patch, and all for nothing.

Windows 98's ICS is a better way to go for a first attempt (IMO)

Ian.

=====
>+++
Ian R Lowe. Director, Wintermute Consultancy Ltd.
e-mail: ian@xxxxxxx
Onward and Upward! Towards Ascension!