RE: ISDN vs ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ISDN vs ADSL
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:49:06 -0000

Chris,

The first question is "when will ADSL be available" - if the
answer's "Janu=
ary" then wait, if it's "December 2001", then get in Highway
for a year.

The last question: Yes a 486/66 can indeed run a Linux router, however,
you=
may find that the serial ports can't do justice to an external ISDN TA, an=
d a 486/66 is unlikey (impossible?) to have any PCI slots, so you may be
re=
duced to an ISA TA.

Personally, I would install Highway in the study, and run the ISDN signal
u=
p it on an extra CAT5. You do, sometimes, need access to reboot the
Highway=
wallbox from its mains adaptor, so you want to available, unless you use X=
-10 control of that mains socket ;-)

=A345 / month feels a lot!

Mark