ADSL Interference raised in House of Commons

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ADSL Interference raised in House of Commons
  • From: "tracey.gardner" <tracey.gardner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:43:27 -0000

Further to my last posting on this topic

Tracey

Hansard Written Answers text for Thursday 9 Nov 2000

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmhansrd/cm001109/text
/01109w04.htm#01109w04.html_sbhd5

Broadband Telecommunications

Mr. Ennis: To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what
measures he plans to put in place to limit potential interference
from broadband telecommunications systems, such as an asymmetric
digital subscriber line; and if he will make a statement.

Ms Hewitt: ADSL technology will allow broadband data services into
people's homes and offices over the local telephone network. It is an
important technology in the development of the information society
and e-commerce. However, because it operates at radio frequencies
over cables which may become unbalanced and hence radiate, there is a
risk of interference to medium wave broadcasting and to some
aeronautical and other services. There is a difficult balance to
strike as we want DSL and other similar broadband technologies to be
deployable widely, but we cannot allow undue interference.

My Department has therefore been consulting over a standard to be put
in place to limit interference from these technologies. Taking due
account of the various representations--and they have been strong on
all sides--we have decided to adopt the limits in the so-called
February draft standard published by the Radiocommunications Agency
(RA). I will be making Regulations to implement this standard in due
course. Safety of life radio services will be protected as the
Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 allows immediate close down of
interference sources where the Regulations are breached. Officials
will also be putting in place a complaints procedure for domestic
consumers experiencing broadcast interference from DSL. This
procedure will be worked up in consultation with the Radio Authority,
the BBC and the radio industry. The Director General for
Telecommunications proposes to place an obligation on the operators
of DSL systems to take all reasonable steps to remedy any
interference caused.

The Government believe that this balanced package will provide a high
level of protection to existing spectrum users while allowing
deployment of new technology without undue constraint. We will
undertake a review in two years--less if necessary--to assess whether
the level in the standard has been appropriately set and to decide
the timing of any future reviews. We will make the standard tougher
if necessary. The review itself will cover the number of unresolved
complaints. Further research is being undertaken by the RA on the
cumulative effects of DSL as it rolls out and this will further
inform our review.

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/3/_/2065/_/974306608/