Re: In wall Phon Sockets

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: In wall Phon Sockets
  • From: Nigel Orr <nigel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:26:30 +0000

At 11:49 13/11/00 +0000, you wrote:
>subs inputs as this will increase the gain.

If you don't, it will be 6dB quieter, which isn't a huge amount, but if
you=
=20
need to run it flat out and can't increase the signal going in, you'll
need=
=20
both connections.

>Can anyone point me to a source for a nice in wall set of phonos?

What do you want them to look like?  Phono sockets on a standard
electrical=
=20
faceplate, or some other sort of panel?

If it's a standard faceplate, the easiest (read as: most expensive)
would=20
be the Canford faceplates and connectors I've mentioned before (in=20
connection with speakon sockets).  The phono sockets for the standard=20
cutout are =A32.25 +VAT each.  I think they only do a single gang 2-cutout=
=20
faceplate in metal though, and they're about =A315 each.  If you happen to=
=20
have a 2 gang box, you can get cheaper plastic faceplates.

More complex (but much cheapness!) is to buy your choice of blank=20
faceplates and carefully drill out the holes to fit your chosen phono=20
connectors, but you probably want to avoid that...

If it was me, I'd fit a single phono socket on the wall (the connector +=20
plastic panel would be about =A35), chop one end off a standard 2-phono to=
=20
2-phono lead, and solder a single phono plug on instead.  But you may have=
=20
good reasons to not want that.

(I've not seen phonos mounted on single faceplates, so I drilled my own
for=
=20
composite video distribution round the house.)

Nigel

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/3/_/2065/_/974118445/