A plea for source material

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: A plea for source material
  • From: Ant Skelton <ant@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:35:44 +0000

I'm about to embark on a software project which will result in a
(hopefully) high performance motion detection system for CCTV images,
the plan being to only record video to disk when something interesting
is happening in front of the camera, and to label the regions of
interest in the process.

I've got quite a strong background in image processing and scene
understanding, and have completed a review of relevant recent research
papers. I've done all the hard maths, and have pretty much decided what
approach I'm going to take (and no, it's not just subtracting one frame
from the previous one ;).

However, what I don't have is much source material to test the software
on. I've got a LookC Pro multiple camera capture system sitting on the
shelf, but sadly no cameras hooked up to it yet.

I know several people on the list have CCTV systems installed, or even
work in the CCTV arena, so I'm hoping to harvest some suitable video
sequences from you!

Specifically, what I'm after are sequences of monochrome images taken
from a stationary camera, with a reasonably regular sampling rate. It
doesn't matter if they're indoors or outdoors, but they should show some
motion happening in the scene. If you have any particularly 'tricky'
sequences, e.g. lots of things moving at once, leaves blowing about in
the background, strong ambient lighting changes etc. so much the better!

If you have something suitable which you don't mind sharing, please
contact me at ant@xxxxxxx. Your copyright will of course be respected,
and you'll be acknowledged in any subsequent code releases.

I'm afraid that this will initially be a linux project, although I
intend to make the source code and a description of the techniques used
available. The vision processing code should be pretty portable, so if
anybody's interested in doing a win32 port...

cheers,

ant
ant@xxxxxxx

eGroups eLerts