Question About Wiring Regs.

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Question About Wiring Regs.
  • From: Ian Lowe <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:17:41 -0800 (PST)

I seem to recall folks saying that you should not run Low Voltage
cables beside mains, to comply with wiring regs.

The Question(s) I have are:

1) What about the situation where the LV Cabling's sole purpose is
hardwired control of the mains line in question?

2) Surely, if your cabling is properly earthed and fused, there
shouldn't be an issue?

Basically, I am looking at putting Hard-wired LCD Panels (4x20 Smart
units from www.basicx.com) in the walls, and running them back to a
central box with a serial interface to my HA PC.

I would like to replace the single gang box where my light switch lives
at present with a dual-gang housing the LCD module, then use the module
itself as the light switch through something like a crydom SSR. This
would seem to need LV and Mains in the same pattress box.

What I don't want to do is to make my house unsellable because it
doesn't meet wiring code. What's the opinion of the assembled throng?

Ian.