Re: Re: Lighting Control (was Re: Adverts)

Spend your money on the things you enjoy…NOT your bills.
Join beMANY! get LOW rates on your long distance TODAY.
Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6840/9/_/2065/_/967653470/

> The IR can come from a remote in your hand in the room, or from an
emitter,
> controlled centrally (eg built into a PIR movement detector).

You mean some kind of "blaster" emitter in a PIR?
These are notoriously unreliable (I know from experience).  You are also
leaving yourself open to interference from sun light, fluorescent lights
etc.

> It's just like X10, but instead of the signal going down the mains, it
> arrives by IR.

Not much of a step up from transmitting over the power line I'd think apart
from possibly speed.  Also...this relies on already having a comprehensive
IR network in your house - which you have, but many won't.

> So it's faster and probably cheaper, and you can control
> the light locally from your Pronto or whatever, without even needing
an IR
> - X10 interface

How do you give each light an individual address?

How do you stop a "BRIGHT" command (for example) from being sent
from your
Pronto to your ceiling rose and then being picked up by your IR
distribution
system and being re-transmitted by the blaster emitter in the PIR?

> Only if you want more functionality (feedback from the lights)

I thought the status of the lights was one of your prime objectives?  You
were complaining you couldn't do this with X10.

> Someone's got to design and build it, or you wouldn't have any
automation
> systems for your easy life

Heh....believe me....if I waited for everyone I'd heard about that was
going
to build a similar system to yours (no disrespect to you Nigel - you know I
have high regard for your technical knowledge) then my house still wouldn't
be built!

> Phew, sometimes it's like swimming through treacle on here... :-)

Tell me about it! :-)

M.