Re: Re: Lighting Control (was Re: Adverts)

Free @Backup service!  Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
your files online.  Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6348/9/_/2065/_/967651988/

Just a couple of thoughts here,

First off it sounds like a great idea to me, I have no real ha at the
moment
and am trying to identify best practice. I assume the IR receiver unit will
be intelligent enough to understand dim up/down as well as on/off, this
would certainly be a requirement for me. Could there be a problem with the
directional nature of IR, in that if you were the wrong side of the room
you
may not be able to control the light with your remote. I don't quite
understand the advantage of this approach over the IR light switches that
the likes of Lutron supply (other than maybe the cost) and these units are
possibly more intuitive in that if a single light switch controls four
lights then the single IR light switch would do the same, with the ceiling
rose approach, you would need to know which light to point at. I thought
your original suggestion about IR receivers in PIR boxes was great and
certainly plan to do this when I buy my comfort system (will run CAT5 to
every detector point) but are the lenses suitable for transmitting IR
through an could there be conflicts between best direction for detecting
movement and best direction for transmiting IR. Again if the IR receiver is
built in to the light switch then this is likely to be near the door which
is often the direction that PIR's point in anyway.

Anyway these were my thoughts, I am definitely in favour of IR control for
lighting (even with x10 I would be controlling many of my lights from my
Pronto) but I am probably more in favour of the IR receiver being built in
to the wall switch rather than the ceiling rose (unless I have missed
something obvious).

So if you can build IR/Manual light switch that fits standard boxes, has
dim
function, allows for a selection of control signals (so that I can have
separate control of switches within a room), can cope with two way
switching, looks good and costs less than £30 per switch then put me down
for 15 !

Regards

Graham