Re: Re: Lighting Control (was Re: Adverts)

Open the door to endless possibilities for your home!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7726/9/_/2065/_/967650341/

At 15:21 30/08/00 +0100, you wrote:
>All sounds a bit hectic!  This will mean running wires from every light
>switch to your chosen location for the custom IR stuff too then?

Nope.  I'm not explaining it very well, it would seem... I'll start with
the basic idea, which could do everything that X10 can do:

Light fitting, with extra PCB inside the ceiling rose.  Connections to live
(for power supply) and existing switch on existing cable (for
control).  Also an IR receiver for IR control.  If you switch the switch
off or on, the light will go off or come on.  If you send an IR code, it
will turn off or on as appropriate.

The IR can come from a remote in your hand in the room, or from an emitter,
controlled centrally (eg built into a PIR movement detector).  IR
distribution is something I will have anyway, so no extra wires are needed.

That's the basic system, uses existing cables to supply power to the light
fitting and to sense the switch position, all that's needed is a PCB in the
ceiling rose to add IR control, and an IR transmitter somewhere in the
room.

It's just like X10, but instead of the signal going down the mains, it
arrives by IR.  So it's faster and probably cheaper, and you can control
the light locally from your Pronto or whatever, without even needing an IR
- X10 interface

>Ah....now a dedicated PC comes into the equation :-)

Only if you want more functionality (feedback from the lights), in which
case you will need some sort of additional system, which could be included
in an existing PC.  I don't think it will be necessary for my system, but I
can leave capacity for it.

I think I'll build some prototypes then draw some diagrams to explain it-
it seems you are envisioning something very complex and I am thinking of
something very simple...

>All this talk of buiding and designing custom stuff is probably very
>rewarding but I guess I just like an easy life :-))

Someone's got to design and build it, or you wouldn't have any automation
systems for your easy life... but I'm not asking you to design it or build
it, just wondering if and how folk would use it.

If they would, there's a chance for some input before I design it (which
could be a few months yet...) and I can leave capacity for extra features,
if not, I'll just do it for my own enjoyment and maybe post schematics when
I'm done.

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, or even understands what I'm trying to
explain, feel free to email me directly or post here!

Phew, sometimes it's like swimming through treacle on here... :-)

Nigel