Re: Lighting Control (was Re: Adverts)

Spend your money on the things you enjoy…NOT your bills.
Join beMANY! get LOW rates on your long distance TODAY.
Click for details.
http://click.egroups.com/1/6840/9/_/2065/_/967642056/

At 13:58 30/08/00 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm in the lucky position of having planned for DIN Rail modules in a
new
>build.  They aren't really very easy to retro-fit.

True, though I've got 2 generously oversized DIN rail boxes mounted around
the house already, one near the consumer unit to let Comfort control
heating and outside lights, one to turn the appropriate audio amp on and
off with the shower isolator (it used to be on permanently, but the
experience of using the loo while the Star Trek soundtrack CD is playing
has to be done to be believed...).

I wouldn't want to fit them under floorboards though, access for changing
fuses would be the biggest concern... which is why I considered replacing
ceiling roses with slightly larger ones that could hold a single LD10 a
while back.  But no-one else was interested, so I dropped that idea.

>You could use LW10U s (http://www.letsautomate.com/10030.cfm)
in most of

They fail the aesthetics criteria unfortunately.  If they did a version
that sat in a deep backbox behind the switch of my choice, I'd be more
interested.

> >My best solution so far is IR control.
>
>IR control of what type of circuit Nigel?  How are you going to
switch/dim?

I'm thinking of a PIC running directly off the mains, via a dropper
resistor, with a sense input from the existing lightswitch, another input
so it can detect the zero crossing, an IR input, IR output, and an output
to drive a triac.  The PIC can easily handle all the IR stuff and drive a
triac, so there's not much else required except some suppression.

>Would this replace the wall switch (not a good idea) or be in addition?
 If
>in addition, does the wall switch change the status?  Where/how do you
>record the status and how would you use this for logic?

Definitely an addition.  My 'prime directive' is to keep everything as
normal as possible!  I would expect at least a clip round the ear from
SWMBO if the lightswitches disappeared :-).  For me, a 'most recent command
wins' system would work best, so either the switch or the IR could decide
what to do.  That's also quite straightforward to implement.

I'd be interested to hear other folks thoughts on the idea- I'm aiming for
my 'Holy Grail' of an intelligent ceiling rose!  I'd be even more
interested in potential purchasers if I made some :-)

>One of the great things about my system is the ability for my alarm
(and
>yours) to control my X10 lights.  If you go the IR route you will be
able to
>have Comfort send commands to turn them on but how will you get the IR
>commands IN to Comfort?

Can't do (yet... he says hopefully), but I don't think it matters.  Comfort
can send control commands, if there's a need to receive status info etc
then that can go through a PC.  It's still better (in my system) than X10,
which I accept is a target price and functionality to aim for

>Now, maybe BlueTooth

Interesting booklet, that Toshiba one you gave a pointer to.  I've just
skimmed it, but if I read it correctly (the 'technical' chapter), the data
rate is only about 120kbps in 'normal operation' and it only manages
720kbps when 'hotrodded', ie single direction, no error correction etc.  I
can't believe that's true, is it?

They're also touting it for listening to your hi-fi wirelessly, at
64kbps... I hope compression gets better!  First impressions were, sadly,
that it looks like more marketing than technology, with what looks like a
lot of very contrived advantages, but I really do hope I am wrong.

>available in a cheap, fast, reliable, available, flexible form.  But
I'm

As the saying goes- "Cheap, Reliable, Fast- pick two"...

Nigel