Re: external PIR's

Get Your Free PC World Newsletter Today!
http://click.egroups.com/1/8237/9/_/2065/_/967712767/

At 00:06 31/08/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Recommendations please for external PIR's to cover my drive/door for
>connection to a comfort zone.

PIRs are fairly fickle creatures outside, because there is so much moving
heat anyway.  So you either have a really insensitive one or loads of false
triggering.

I've got one mounted for camera switching, just a cheap Maplin one as it's
protected from the weather, pointing down at the ground, and it's OK for a
3-4m range, but it does false-trigger on occasion, I'd definitely not use
it to trigger an alarm (you probably weren't planning that), and the
spurious 'ding-dong' noises mean I don't even use it as an automatic
doorbell any more, just for camera switching, where occasional false alarms
don't really matter.

If it's on a North-facing wall, away from traffic, it should work more
reliably.

Could you use active (beam-break) IR instead?

Nigel