RE: Comfort vs HomeVision

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Comfort vs HomeVision
  • From: Clive Dilley <clive@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:35:20 +0100

I also have both Comfort and HV and agree that they make a great HA system.
However I still think that I have a long way to go. On a scale of 1-10 (10
being highest), I rate my current system as around 3 or 4 for all the
things I would like to do within reasonable costs and I know that the
technology exists. (This may be another interesting survey Mark?)

I have located both in my wiring/homerun cupboard with all my A/V and use
Comfort mainly for security and HV mainly for HA & IR control and
interface
them with X10 when I need to. I also have a Touchscreen, which is
definitely family friendly.

My wife is very understanding about the HA stuff. However I do agree with
someone's comment about keeping the house looking "normal" (apart
from the
Touchscreen), as they really does help WAF. On couple of occasions I have
several wires sellotaped to the wall until a more permanent home was found
... this did not go down well. Therefore I try and keep things in view
reasonably neat. At somepoint I will what to sell the house and probably
all the existing HA stuff as well - thus I really need to keep it simple to
use and well documented. I am hoping that the HA will increase the value of
the house (does anyone have any comments about this).

One particular occasion really impressed her (which probably helped me get
new "toys" in). A friend of hers (who did not have a mobile
phone) picked
up my son from cubs and fetched him home. Unfortunately we had just decided
to go out for 15 minutes, but got stuck in traffic on M11 for 90 minutes
(what fun!!). The friend rang the Comfort doorbell and we calmly told her
from my mobile, that we would be late and asked her to take him home with
her. This impressed both my wife (as she saw the value) and her friend who
was amazed by the technology. The next week several of my wife's friends
kept asking her about our doorbell ... she replied "that is nothing,
you
should see what the rest of the house can do".

Obviously this demonstrated to her what the point of all this expensive kit
is ... perhaps "arranging" a situation where HA saves the day may
be the
answer for WAF.

Clive