Re: AT PSU

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: AT PSU
  • From: Nigel Orr <Nigel.Orr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 14:29:08 +0100

At 03:07 21/08/00 -0700, you wrote:
>1) How much current can you put across a CAT-5 pair at 5V? enough to
>power a small 20x4 LCD panel and EL backlight?

I'd guess a couple of hundred milliamps long term, maybe an Amp for short
peaks, probably enough for the LCD and backlight without problems.  Voltage
drop may be an issue, probably more than wire heating!

>2) Does anyone know of a replacement for the Global single chip PSU
>that ST used to make? All it needed was a zener, a couple of caps and a
>resistor, and you had a stable regulated supply with no heat problems.

Never heard of it- did it connect directly to the mains?

>3) Does anyone know where you can prototype quantity (10-20) plastic
>mouldings done cheaply? I have a cool project idea, which needs some
>(very simple) plastics to look right.

No, but if you find out, I'd love to know- most of the costs are in
production tooling, so unless you supply the moulds, it'll probably be
expensive.  Cheapest way is probably to DIY- glass fibre is reasonably easy
to use, especially for small quantities.

Nigel