RE: Webserver interface

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Webserver interface
  • From: "Dan Hoehnen" <dhoehnen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:37:15 -0400

Andy,

I have some ideas and I have done most of what I am going to suggest.  I am
currently working on the web interface for Comfort and much of what I am
going to say I am also doing for it.

I am not a HS user, so I may make some assumptions here that are incorrect.
But, I think that you may already be able to do most of what you want with
what you already have.

I will be very general in this first message and will be glad to expand on
any area you are not familar with.

In general, I think you should be able to use ASP and HTML to make your own
pages that get info from HS and dynamically build a web page.  If using IIS
as the web server (or your own web server written in VB6) you can create a
reference to HS and then use that object to access info in HS.  Both your
own web server written in VB6 and ASP in a web page can create an object
reference to HS.  Thus, if using IIS for example, the ASP code gets all
current status info for all devices and then builds the web page
accordingly.

Now, if using PWS then it gets just a bit harder.  PWS can not talk COM to
an out-of-process server, which HS is.  PWS can only talk COM to an
in-process-server.  So, you write a dll (in process server) in VB6 that has
2 COM interfaces - one for ASP to talk to this dll, and one for the dll to
talk to HS.  You then add methods and properties to this dll that are
basically the same as those found in HS's COM interface.  For example,
let's
say HS has a method called IsON(device) that returns true or false if the
device is on or not.  You would then create the same method in your dll,
the
code in this method would call IsON in HS, get the result and then return
it
to whatever called the dll's method.  So, the dll is just passing info
between ASP code and HS.

I am assuming that HS has methods in its COM interface that can provide you
with the status of each device.  I also assume that HS has methods that you
can call to execute commands (on, off, etc.).  If this is true, then I
think
this approach will work.  It would only require you to write a dll (so PWS
users could use this) and then write some ASP pages.  You would not have to
write a web server.  Then, anyone that knows asp and html can easily make
their own pages.

Dan

allowing/disabling
> public view access using in-html coding eg.
>
>  HAWS:Bedroom Light,<on image url>,<off image url>?
>
> The webserver itself allows you to disable the feature so that
> the 'public'
> can't see this.  I've implemented security so you can protect pages
(not
> just for Homeseer interfaces). The idea is that you could run your
website
> using this server but it also has Homeseer functionality built in
too..

> What I'm after is ideas, things you can't currently do with the
Homeseer
> webserver that you'd like.  Almost anything is 'go' at this stage of
the
> development so even if you think it's silly let me know...
>
> I think after it's all done I'll release it as a freebie, and possibly
the
> source too.. (I'm all for free stuff!)
>
> I'm also thinking about adding Homevision capability to this too
> but as yet
> I don''t have one so that part is sort of on hold until I do.
>

> Thanks
>
> A.

> This message is intended only for use by the person
> to whom it is addressed. It may contain information
> that is privileged and confidential. Its content does
> not constitute a formal commitment by Lombard Odier.
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
> kindly notify the sender immediately and destroy this
> message. Thank you.

Apply NOW!
http://click.egroups.com/1/7872/9/_/2065/_/967146900/